I have only been at blogging for about a month. Good times, some great people, and some wonderful writing. I am happy to be here. Here are my initial observations of this cool new world.
1. The potential for people to read your work diminishes with every extra word you add. The relationship is non-linear, as follows:
# of views = -4.9 * Ln (# of words) + 40.7
Try it (Ln is the natural logarithm). Don’t forget the negative! In this relationship, a 50 word piece would give you something like 25 views; a 2000 word piece would give you like 2. It totally works.
2. Magically, it is possible to have people like your work even if you have no views. This is an amazing phenomenon. It’s like people have delved into the first few lines of your writing and have intuitively gleamed what will happen next, how it will end, and exactly what the author was trying to convey.
3. Incredibly, there are people out there who like everything. They find joy in every word written by ever blogger. They love poetry. They love prose. They love blog tours, interviews, reviews, blank posts, photos of defecating monkeys, thesis statements on anal warts, and possibly even this post.
4. There is more information out there on the topic of writer’s block than on any other five subjects combined. It appears that half the people who post on the subject are aware of the irony of writing about this when they think they can’t write about anything; the rest, I’m not sure.
5. The more scantily-clad the person in the intro photo, the more likely the post is to be viewed. Actually, this might be just me.
6. Now and then, I come upon a post that really really makes me think. Example: http://chineseowl.wordpress.com/2012/09/09/%E5%B7%A5%E7%A8%8B%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E8%AB%96%E6%96%87%E7%B5%84%E7%B9%94%E5%AF%AB%E4%BD%9C%E7%AC%AC%E4%B8%80%E9%83%A8%E5%88%86%E8%83%8C%E6%99%AF%E5%8D%81%E5%8D%81%E5%8D%81%E5%8D%81%E5%8D%81-7/
7. The ratio of poetry to prose writers in the Writing and Fiction categories on WordPress is approximately 3:1 (poetry:prose) by my calculation. I have no idea why I wrote that. Or what difference it makes.
8. Approximately 99 percent of the posts I have read are better than this one. For an example that fits into the remaining 1 percent, go here:
9. Bloggers do not make money doing this. They don’t necessarily forward their careers. Blogging may not help people sell their self-published books. However. Bloggers. Win. Awards. Enough said.
10. I have yet so see anyone propose a jamboree of WordPress bloggers, but someone really should. I see a large dusty field somewhere in Canada because that’s where I live, and foresee many beers and debauchery. And that’s what it’s all really about isn’t it.