Today, I start putting myself out there. 2020 was great, but this is the year. I’m going to query agents about my book, Girl Island. But I’m going to make a contract with myself first, and I’m going to stick to it. The contract goes as follows:
- I will work harder than anyone to market my book. I will do what it takes.
- I will make the revisions. I will listen to the feedback to make my story stronger.
- I will give my heart to those who believe in me and work with me. And I will never let them down.
- I’m sure there is someone out there who is a fit for me, and vice versa. Not everyone is. I will continue to remember that.
- I will embrace the fact that I’m a scientist. And an environmentalist.
- I will never again shy away from the fact that I’m a person of colour.
- I will be unashamedly funny and irreverent. Occasionally, I will streak through the quad in the snow. While some parts of me may shrink in the cold, others, such as my writing brain, will be engorged magnificently.
- I will be fearless in wanting to be read. I’m fearless in my writing, so I’ll take that attitude forward.
- I will remember that I’m a damn good writer. I’m not Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Or Margaret Atwood. But I have what it takes and I’m getting better all the time. There are no limits.
- I will remember that as much as I’m a writer, I’m a storyteller first!
- If I need to be in it for the long haul, I will be. I won’t give up this dream.
And beyond that, I will continue to write stories that snap genres and that tackle the hard topics. I will write in a variety of voices, from many perspectives. I will continue to love this part of my life. And I will support and do the best I can for others who are on this journey, too.